Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cayuga Press


Cayuga Press
Our visit to the Cayuga Printing Press was really interesting and it really peaked my interest. For my entire life my mother has worked in the printing industry and it was really exciting to see the kind of printing press she would be using but on a smaller scale. The visit was definitely a highlight of this class for me because I am hoping to get into a side of graphic design that deals with printing magazines and other mass produced printed items.
My favorite part of the trip was seeing the website interface system that they use with the clients to look at and make notes on each individual process thats being worked on at the company. The whole system was very intricate and super detailed. I love that you could get such an amazingly high quality image of each project and zoom in thousands of percent. The whole system seemed very efficient and exactly perfect for a print company that works with people from all over the country and even around the world.
I also really enjoyed actually seeing the printing presses themselves. They seemed very intimidating with how loud they were but the quality of prints that they produced was impressive. Being a graphic designer, I usually don’t think about my projects in CMYK, but rather RGB. The layers of color on top of each other isn’t a familiar subject to me and it amazes me the things that can be made by the offset
printing. To see professionally printed items is one thing, but to see them actually being printing was a lot more exciting. Another machine that I really enjoyed were the ones that folded the pages and created the booklets by themselves. The way the machine stacked all the pages in the correct order, folded them, and then stabled the binding together was very exciting to see.
For the facility itself, I really liked that the building was relatively small compared to larger scale printing companies. It gave the whole building a more personal feeling to it and the staff seemed a great deal closer than what I would have thought. I was very overwhelmed in the room with the scheduling wall. When our guide said that they would work on up to two hundred projects at one time was very overwhelming to me. It makes sense that they would need to take on that many projects to bring in revenue, but as an art student the thought of working on that many projects is very scary.Coming from an art student, seeing a facility that can print anything I want on any paper that I want was thrilling. All the possibilities of types of paper and large format printing was exciting to see. This semester I have to work with Cayuga Press to print out posters for my internship and it was really neat to actually be able to see what goes on behind the scenes of a printing press company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment