Thursday, November 29, 2012

Q Cassetti


Kelsey Souza
Graphic Design Paper #1

A Visit From Our Friend Q Cassetti

            When Q Cassetti first walked into our classroom this semester, I honestly had no idea what to expect.  Had I have known that I was in the presence of a well known, experienced, published, graphic designer whose clients consist of Quest Diagnostics, Steuben Glass, The Corning Museum of Glass, The Baker Institute for Animal Health, Cornell University, Tiffany and Company, Estee Lauder, Origins Natural Resources, Corning Incorporated, T. Rowe Price, Lightship Communications, Omega One Communications, Nantucket Paper Chase, as well as so many others I would have been waiting at the door to shake her hand in gratitude as she volunteered her time with us.  I was extremely impressed with the work that she showed us and was extremely grateful for all that she shared with us and taught to us.  She gave me a different professional side of Graphic design that I had, at the time, yet to experience.  
            One of the first things that I learned from Q, was the how important above all else you need to know and feel where trends are going, and find ways to implement them into your work.  As an artist, we may not have all control about what we are creating or the subject matters that are involved, but if you find a new way to put a spin on it, or make it completely your own, then you are golden.  She described it as being an “artistic hipster,” or being your own person but still reacting to the current trends.  Q showed us how she created her portraits of others, and said that when she was first starting to create them, she needed to figure out her own spin on them.  That’s when she came up with her own style, such as adding the zigzag detail to create shading and a unique look to her own work.  I had never seen her work before, but I don’t think that I will ever forget it.  
            I also found it amusing the way that she was discussing how illustrators feel about graphic designers.  You would think that they would be accepting of each other, and that a computer is just another type of media that an illustrator would specialize in but they want to be a completely separate sector of artist altogether, which to me seems a bit ridiculous.  Having Q talking about being an illustrator was also very interesting to me because I had really never thought about being a graphic designer who specializes in illustration.  It just opened another door to a possibility for my future!
            I think for Q’s second visit, as a class, we were all very excited to have her return.  The tutorials she did for us were extremely helpful; especially as I did on my own computer what she was doing in front the class on the projector.  And she was right- we love live trace!  I had never used pathfinder before, and although I had done some editing in Photoshop to images I would use in illustrator, I had never done the steps that she had showed us.  I love this new tool of using the vector working paths and pathfinder as a layering effect in illustrator.  Now knowing how to and being able to create new brushes and symbols will also be very useful in future creations.  
            The most important thing that Q Cassetti taught me was the importance of putting yourself and your artwork out there.  To make it in this field I myself need to start a blog, or putting my artwork in shows.  To get a job, I will need to build a portfolio, and starting now will be very helpful.  Q said that just drawing and sketching a few hours a day will help get the creative juices flowing, and its true, she was right!  I really enjoyed both of Q’s visits, and maybe one day I will try to go visit their studio.
           
This is my design for a logo that was inspired by Q’s workshop for an imaginary company titled High Five Co.  I used Photoshop to edit my idea and then brought my working paths into Illustrator to finish the piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment